Jan 16, 2012

What Predominates in the World of Computing

I think that Mill's Utilitarianism is the ethical theory that predominates in the world of computing. It is because most computer users now are now only after their own happiness. Most computer programmers/geeks do hacking and cracking for their own good even though what they are doing is illegal. I know this because I am exposed in different kinds of forums that deals with computers. To give you an example, when I was in high school, I am fond of testing and altering the configurations/settings of my mobile phone just to access the internet through my operator for FREE. Yes, for free. It gives me happiness because the outcome was successful and I even shared it to my classmates for them to experience it also. But as time passes by, mobile networks keep updating their system because many users are violating their rules which is you have to pay them if you want to access their internet services. I also tried to hack prepaid load and was so fulfilling. So after those countless updates, I was tired of bypassing their system so I switched to another field again which is customizing the operating system of mobile phones which includes flashing, rooting, jailbreaking, unlocking and updating. Enough of that, so as you can see I can relate myself to this theory because even if I know that what I am doing is wrong and pretty sure that I violated certain laws, I still don't care because I love what I'm doing , I do it just for my experience, I'm having fun with it and it gives me happiness....



*end
- mon_jumbo

17 comments:

  1. nice chosen theory even though we are different but we all want is good sake. =))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but come to think of it that there are also instances that virtue ethics is applied although most of the time utilitarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also choose utilitarianism, I think half of my happiness are found in computer.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. think about it, we do have our own moral duty isn't it? it doesn't matter if we find our happiness from doing something because our conscience dominates EVEN more. its how we decide to ourselves if we do or not do something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same thought mon. And some people can find happiness in money

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have chosen the same theory and you have explained yours well too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utilitarianism is also the best theory for me mon,Good job for explaining it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. reflecting to your own experiences make your point of view clearer. Readers will easily understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happiness is what we make. You have a good point Mon.
    Very well said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is just being the real you, so things are all going to be ok even some of the rules is violated, its your HAPPINESS then;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree mon....You really explained it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. why do we do our best on certain things? it's because we are in pursuit of a good life and happiness will lead us to a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. true, and we have the same choice:) nice mon

    ReplyDelete
  14. happiness is the highest good of life but for me being happy is a one way for being wise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you give the meaning of being happines mon,, so i agree with you mon..:)

      Delete
  15. That is why computer crimes and computer abuses happens because what makes happy to an individual doesn't mean at all times that it is right or morally good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. true not all the time happiness is morally right. ^^ but to me happiness is morally right when you know to yourself that your doing right to your life and to the computer's world.

    ReplyDelete